Saturday, December 02, 2006

new wave

we were watching a duran duran concert on dvd more than a week ago. i told my kids they were one of the more popular bands then. i'd sing along to the songs, shout out the titles as the first bars of music were heard.

last night, i was listening to new wave music. then gabby pipes in:

gab: mommy, may drum drum ba diyan?

me: ha? anong drum drum?

gab: yung hungry like the wolf?

O MY! MY 5-YEAR OLD BABY, WHO'S NEVER BEEN EXPOSED TO NEW WAVE MUSIC BEFORE, IS REQUESTING FOR DURAN DURAN.

me: ah, duran duran. meron.

i cue the first duran duran song on the list.

gab: meron bang hungry like the wolf? yung - tan, tananananan, tanananan, tanananan... (gab hums the melody.)

me: meron. ito... (i play the song.)

after hearing it for the second time (only!), gabby sings the refrain of hungry like the wolf over and over until she falls asleep. and mind you, she was never out of tune.

although my all-time duran duran favorite is save a prayer, i was giggling inside, listening to gab sing.

either my baby's a reincarnated new waver or she's a plain genius.