Saturday, December 16, 2006

The Cycle of Life and Death (and Death and Life)

Just when I was reading through several blog posts on coping with the death of a loved one, I receive the wonderful news about a friend's (second) pregnancy. Surely one good reason to celebrate the season - and life itself.

When I was pregnant with my first daughter, I was always filled with awe and amazement - at how a life was blossoming inside me and at how blessed I was to have been chosen to bring this being into the world. Even now, my chest feels like bursting with all these varied emotions just thinking about that phase in my life. Pregnancy and childbirth, especially childbirth, were filled with soooo many horrific experiences that some of my friends cringe whenever I tell and re-tell the stories. But at the same time, these were the most wonderful and memorable parts of my life and if I were to live my life over again, I'd willingly go through all those again.

To R, congratulations! I know somewhere, somehow, your dad's looking down and smiling upon you and his grandchild(ren).

No comments: